Restore & Reclaim
transitive verb \ri-ˈklām\
To rescue from an undesirable state; also: to restore to a previous natural state; to regain possession of
transitive verb \ri-ˈstȯr\
Give back, return; to put or bring back into existence or use; to bring back to or put back into a former or original state
A winter revival…
As we enter into the winter season of colder and darker days, we are naturally encouraged to slow down, to reflect on the year that will soon be coming to a close, to reclaim our power & personal energies, and to restore ourselves physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually.
This slowing, reflecting, reclaiming and restoring can happen in many ways and I encourage you to find what resonates for you, to listen to your body and allow for your inner voice to guide you during this time of cozying up, turning inward and rediscovering your true nature.
Enjoy this time, aware that each moment is a gift.
By connecting to the natural flow and ease of nature, we have the opportunity to re-discover the connections all around and within us. Nature does not struggle against itself, rather it flows in a natural rhythm interconnected with all living and non-living things, constantly changing, unfolding and adapting. We are the same; we are an integral part of this natural flow… It is just that many of us have forgotten this intimate and undeniable connection, which in turn causes us and much of the life around us pain and suffering. If we allow ourselves to follow the natural rhythms of nature through the seasons we open ourselves up to a gentler, kinder way of being.
Some ideas to help you get started…
- To restore and prepare for the colder weather: A gentle cleanse or detox will do wonders for your lungs, large intestine and overall immunity – all areas on which to focus in order to restore and clear out any congestion before the cold & flu season hits (two or three days is all that is necessary or encouraged for this time of year): include warm, vegetable based broth soups – like the Broccoli Potato soup pictured here, fresh & organic vegetable and fruit juices while boosting your garlic, greens and green tea intake and adding some omega 3 oils (Avocado, olive oil and flax seed oil… are high in Omega-3s which help lube up the intestinal walls and absorb the toxins that may be released during the cleanse) to your day…
- Grab your journal or begin a new one. Take time to reflect upon and reclaim your power – negative thoughts, actions, behaviours etc deplete your energy and give away your power, now is the time to take it back; take ownership of and responsibility for your life, your thoughts and your actions, in doing so you take back your power and reclaim the life that is yours. A life where you are in the driver’s seat, capable and worthy of steering yourself in whatever direction you choose. Remember, you are your own best teacher.
- Minimize: spending more time indoors can provide the time to clear things out and let things go. What physically or emotionally is no longer serving you? Slowly and patiently give yourself permission to let go – this will leave you feeling restored and renewed.
- Go to bed a little earlier and enjoy a good night’s rest. If you find you have a difficult time falling asleep at night due to your ‘monkey mind’ or too many thoughts, anxieties and worries try taking a Calcium & magnesium supplement before bed; Calcium is a natural sleep aid that can help you fall asleep and have a restful sleep. The mineral contains tryptophan, an amino acid the body uses to produce melatonin, a natural hormone that helps induce and maintain sleep. Magnesium aids in relaxing the nerves and muscles, while also helping with calcium absorption.
- Sign up for a group yoga practice to keep you active & social over the winter months and to help support you as you restore – yoga has an incredible ability to open you up to what is possible, while also creating balance and a sense of renewed health, vitality and overall well-being.
If you’d like to discover more ways to restore & reclaim as you move into the winter season, join us at Balanced Body Studio & Wellness centre on Sunday November 25th, for the 3rd in our 9 part Shift Happens Workshop series… This month’s topic is, you guessed it… Restore & Reclaim!
I wish for you a winter of discovery and transformation.